Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Putting My Face On

I love makeup and I love scripture.

My kids and I have a daily practice of “putting on our armor” as suggested in the book of Ephesians to help us prepare for our day. We put on our “belt of truth” while practicing to clip on our belt buckles, and the “breastplate of righteousness” while patting our chests, and tie up the shoes on our “feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.” We then strap on our “helmets of salvation” and the “shield of faith” (left arm bent upwards in a protective gesture) and thank God for the “sword of the spirit, which is the Word of God.” I sensed a mother’s calling to instill tangible ways to apply biblical principles for my children to see the connection between God’s way of working in our world and our need to be safe and protected each day.

Personally, I enjoy makeup as my way to prepare for my day, both physically, mentally and spiritually. When I wash my face with special cleansers and apply the moisturizing lotions, it’s my version of buckling up my belt of truth. Without cosmetics, the truth of how my skin looks is evident! I’ll properly apply foundation and concealer to cover up my flaws and appear “righteous” like that breastplate I’m wearing, and give me that sense of peace I need from the gospel. Next, a smooth stroke of the brush, and I apply blush to my cheeks giving me a look of being more alive because of my helmet of salvation. My eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara give me that extra touch of color which can radiate from the faith I carry in my precious shield, and the lipstick enhances my mouth which is ready to speak the treasured Word of God, which is the sword of the spirit.

I think God likes makeup too!

3 comments:

Kathryn Craft said...

Lisa, you are the only retreat participant I've ever seen sit at a table at Trout Lake and put her makeup on!

Other than my son's girlfriend, lol. You need that armor to survive my extended family!

Hmm... you gals may be on to something. How differently might I have turned out if all those sarcastic arrows shot at me could have been deflected off the armor of Bare Escentuals!!

With you, a bonus: you look like a million bucks. As does your new blog design!

Lisa Tomarelli said...

K: Thanks...it's funny what a little bit of makeup can do! Appreciate your input.

Anonymous said...

Nice post Lisa. What a wonderful tradition you have with your kids. They will remember it forever.

Patty